Sunday, May 9, 2010

What atout the project?

While I was meditating on my choice, while I was crossing the steps that drove me to quit my job and update myself in 3D, what did I do for my project? Not much, of course, since my mind was occupied elsewhere, but still, I always have a little room for evasion.

Last time I spoke about my project, I said that I've developed the past of a character who, in the series, shines by his absence. I needed to know him, to know where he comes from and why the story changes by the fact he's not there. His story became so attaching for me that I thought I could add it to the series, or write a short story that will go in the "lost pages", (I'm not decided yet about that point; I'll see when the project will be more advanced) but either way, I will write it. I also mentioned that his story was now clear enough in my mind I could almost start writing it right away.

Well, no. During my evasions into my imaginary world I'm building, I came to a more concrete level, what would I write, where would I start... I let myself go and listen to the dialogues, see the scenes, fell them, enter under the skin of my characters, what do they think about, how do they fell, what's their purpose?

There's still something missing, that bloc me. I have the main lines of the religions, but not for that tribe. I'm also missing a historical depth. Where, in time, the story takes place? I know what will happen in the futur (I wrote it the first time I tried to published), but what did happen before? I need a stronger cultural and historical context.

Don't worry, I haven't bloc very long, because I took a book I bought during a travel in Scotland (that's almost exactly 10 years ago). I start studying our own history, the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age, to understand the period I'd like to work with. Of course, my world is not taking place in this world, religions are different and the evolution also. There's no Rome nor fall of Rome, so no medieval time... all is different. But it doesn't change that I feel the need to know better our history, for the influence and inspiration.

Through all of that, of course, I'm really REALLY looking forward to leave my job. This is the main emotional tram I'm stock in. I feel on the edge of depression or nervous breakdown... I have decided to leave in July, to be half way better the classes in fall and now. I knew I couldn't wait until autumn, but it would have been really unreasonable to leave too early... But in the end, I think it's going to be a horribly long two months...

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you call these excursions into your fantasy world "evasions" - because they let you escape from the complications of life here, I guess.

    ReplyDelete